2 pairs siouplait… 2 x Rs 12….
Hmm… sa ki bon sa!
So… the dholl puri/dal puri/dhal puri/dhol puri/dalpuri/dal pourri/dholl pourri/dal puree/daal puri/rotten dholl…
Some say it’s a typical Mauritian dish, and that only seasoned street vendors (Dewa & co) know the secret of that smooth buttery feel. All we know is… that a quick Google search reveals it is quite common in countries influenced by Indian cuisine. However, as a street food that is so deeply entrenched in a nation’s culture, there is no parallel. The national fast-food of Mauritius is indeed the dholl puri.
So, how to prepare it?
First step - you’ve got to boil the dal (split peas). Some turmeric powder added to the water will be beneficial.
Then you have to process the dal into the filling which will be added to the dough. (That’s the hardest part)
Sure, you can use a blender, but it won’t have the same consistency.
In the meantime, you can prepare your dough. Flour, oil, water, salt & yellow colouring (or turmeric powder).
Top the dough with some oil & leave it for a few hours (5h).
To prepare your dholl puris, you have to mould the dough into small balls.
The next step consists of filling the centre of the balls with the processed dal.
Flatten the dough & work it into a round shape. & then further flatten it using the chowki/belna (rolling board/pin).
Brush with oil & cook on the tawa.
Last step. Eat.
[Usually accompanied with cari gros pois dans masala, kacchu, giromon, chouchou, rougaille, satini coco, salade, achard, etc…]
- Inspired to Bake - Dal Puri & Kheer – A Winning Combination
- Caripoule - The Secrets of making dhal pouris
- L’Express - “Dholl Puri”: the exotic taste
- Ile Maurice Tourisme - Jérôme, marchand de dholl puri
- YouTube - Mauritian dholl puri recipe
- YouTube - Dholl Puri Curepipe, Mauritius
- YouTube - Dholl Puri fresh out the van!
- YouTube - Port Louis: Around Bus Station - Food - Dal Puri... miam miam :-)
- A Roti called DHAL PURI (Guyana)
- Dhal Puri Roti (Trinidad)
- Avinash – Typical Mauritian food
- Yashvinblogs - Combien paires dal pourri/roti? :P